We all have our food related childhood memories and this dish is one of them for me. During Ramadan my uncles friend had brought this home. After some 15 years I started searching for this recipe and was not getting it because I didnt know the name of the dish. One day I was describing the dish to my friend Nielou and she searched and found the recipe for it ;thats when I understood its called Undaputtu! A yummy, delicious malabar dish.Please do try it!!!
- Clean the prawns and marinate it with chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic ,curry leaves and coriander leaves and saute well.
- Add marinated prawns and salt and cook it until done and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add rice flour and salt. Add about 3 cups of hot water and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Make lemon size balls out of the dough and pat them into small disc . Add 1 tbsp prawn masala into it and make a small ball as below.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining dough and prawn masala.
- Roll each prepared balls in the grated coconut.
- Steam cook for 15-20 minutes and serve hot.