It was Christmas time and I always wanted to make the cute Gingerbread man. We always see them as a part of Christmas decorations,feast and snaps. They look so cute and you can almost imagine how they would taste. I infact wanted to taste them before making them to know eventually how they are supposed to taste after baking :-) But then getting them in India is a task. So I thought let me bake them and see how they turn out! I was a bit skeptical about making them because all the recipes that I saw was complicated. Molasses,and that and this.. I mean we do get jaggery but then the recipes said you have to melt them and purify and what not!And then I found this recipe,very few ingredients and the snaps looked good too,tried it and they made the beautiful combination of little crunchy little soft and flavoured Gingerbread man! Do try it friends.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda and ground ginger together and place in a bowl or food processor. Add Brown Sugar or Dark Cane Sugar.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips or pulse in food processor until resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and stir or pulse to mix. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour to the mix and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes and place on tray. Form leftover dough into a ball and re-roll and repeat cutting out until all the dough is used up.
- Bake gingerbread men for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
- Make icing by adding a few drops of food colouring and 11⁄2 tsp water to the icing sugar. Mix and pipe out designs as per your interest.